Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! It's something new I'm trying. Here you will not only be able to follow my journey as a jewelry artist, but interact with me on a variety of life-related topics.

Follow me on Facebook

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

After two years. . .

Two years ago, Scott and I went camping for a week near Rockport, Tx.  We were both ready for the respite and excited to spend a week away from reality.


We booked the "perfect" site; one in which we had previously stayed.  It was a wonderful site in a cove made of trees and shrubs--very private.  We felt like we were alone in the park.  When we last stayed there, it was terrific; we set up our canopy, set up the camp kitchen, and stayed for the week.  Very few mosquitos bothered us as we sat outside and talked.  We were overjoyed this time that this site was actually available and couldn't wait to set up.  There was no reason to anticipate anything less for this trip.

Unfortunately, to quote Mr. Robert Burns, "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley" (oft go awry).  And WOW did they.  After backing the trailer into this utopia, we got out to set up.  Immediately we were attacked by airborne, blood-sucking insects---yes, folks---mosquitos, those pesky flying vermin that send even the most courageous individual running for the house.  It was simply AWFUL!!  We were prisoners in our own abode...refugees from the great outdoors.  This most anticipated, fabulous site had turned into a veritable Hadees...we were a smorgasbord for mosquitos---two humans and two canines in a little tent trailer in the middle of cloud of ravenous mosquitos.  This fabulous vacation seemed to be anything but---the outlook seemed bleak.

After sleeping with one eye open all night so we could attack the wayward mosquitos that dared to enter our trailer, we awakened to discuss our options.  We could leave, or we could see if there were sites open down by the water.  The answer seems simple you say, and at first thought it may...however, have you even spent the night in a popup trailer down by the coast?  If not, let me explain; it is a rather harrowing experience.  The constant breeze continually rocks the top of the trailer and it seems to intensify at night which results in a less- than-restful night's sleep.  In fact, I spend most of the night praying that we'll live through it---yes, I know, that's a little dramatic, but that's how I feel. Anyway, sleeping in the wind by the water seemed preferable to mosquito infestation or leaving, so that's what we did. 

We set up the camp kitchen, table, and chairs in the covered picnic area which we encompassed with the dog pens so we wouldn't lose the dogs.  We spent our days sitting in the chairs looking out at the water or reading.  I also spent some time looking for shells that could be used in jewelry.  Mind you, I had never made jewelry with any shell I had ever picked up before, but I was certain that one day I would:-) I didn't end up with piles of shells, but I did bring home a select few.  Our vacation, with the exception of the winds that seemed to blow 100 mph at night, was redeemed by moving to the water, and we ended up having a grand time during our week at the coast; however, I have decided that any other time we go to the coast/beach, we will be staying in a house!

Now I know you're probably wondering where I'm going with this story, and here it is...



...after two years, I finally did something with one of those shells.  I set it in copper with dyed freshwater pearls as accents.  This is my second experimentation with this type of setting, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I am very pleased with the way this setting turned out, worlds better than the first try last week.

Thanks for reading.  Til next time...

Cheers,
LaLa

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the way you tie a story to a piece of jewelry!!! It's an art my dear friend!! Kiddos to you!!!

    ReplyDelete