Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! It's something new I'm trying. Here you will not only be able to follow my journey as a jewelry artist, but interact with me on a variety of life-related topics.

Follow me on Facebook

Sunday, July 10, 2011

An Old Foe...

So today I became reacquainted with an old foe...it was actually a purposeful meeting; one planned because the eventual outcome will be worth dredging up the feelings I have managed to suppress for years.  Sounds painful, huh?! Well, my experience today did reaffirm my dislike, so I suppose it was a pain of sorts.  


What warrants this drama, you ask? One word...painting.  Not the wonderfully artistic way of expressing oneself on canvas, but the boring, monotonous way of coloring one's walls in a house. At one point I felt like I was the Karate Kid, clueless as to how this was beneficial, and that Mr. Miyagi was lying in wait about to tell me that the next step in my training was "wax on, wax off".  

I can't quite say when my aversion to painting started.  Maybe it was the second time we painted the living room growing up; or maybe it was painting the exterior of the house...I really don't know.  I just know that it exists, and, for the past few years, whenever possible, I kindly refused to paint.  


This time, however, I decided to face the foe head-on.  After all, what's a little sacrifice for pleasing aesthetics?! Ok, I'll admit it, it wasn't quite as bad as I anticipated. We are using Sherwin Williams "Harmony" paint (in Iceberg) which is No VOC and low odor...we chose this because I am extremely sensitive to smells (I think that is one reason for my dislike of painting,) and would not be able to actually paint with regular paint, much less inhabit the house afterwards.  I would absolutely recommend this paint to others.  As I am writing this, I do not even detect a smell.  I did take precautions and wear a small respirator mask while painting, but took it off immediately after we finished.  We opened the windows on the front and back doors and let the house air out awhile--that's all it took.  For someone who cannot even wear perfume anymore, that is a blessing.  Despite the moments of wishing I was doing almost anything but paint, it was a nice little project for us to complete together.  We hope to finish the rest of the area by the end of the week. We will NOT, however, be tackling the flooring project...we've decided that is better left to the professionals.  


Looking forward to the end result (and no more clustered furniture),
Cheers,


LaLa





No comments:

Post a Comment